Monday, February 21, 2011

SO WHO HAS DONE A "TUTORIAL" TUTORIAL???

*Said really fast like disclaimers on radio commercials*
Disclaimer: Any resemblance to any known YOU TUBE (rs) is purely coincidental & criticism does not depict any single description of any 1 (one) account on You Tube or their affiliates i.e the following is solely opinion based ranting of an Internet addict who has OCD on so many levels that this disclaimer had to be included to protect the rights of the innocent & those who may be offended by said criticisms. 

What is really happening??? What has become of pride??? Has shame cashed out its 401k & gone to retire??? Why is there, seemingly - no reference point for what's appropriate & what isn't???

WHAT THE HECK AM I TALKING ABOUT???

I know I'm not the only one who has noticed that things have gone awry in many areas of society - but gee wiz WHAT IS GOING ON OVER THERE ON YOU TUBE WITH THE MAKEUP TUTORIALS???

You have seen some of the same things I have? Right? I won't go into any specifics about makeup technique, but haven't some of you wondered why _______ has sssoooooooooooooo many hits when:

1)  They don't seem to be very well versed at all in the subject they are offering instruction about. <<< WHY DOES ANYONE LISTEN TO THESE TYPES?

2)  They lead off their video with disclaimers & requests to be excused for this&that because this is wrong or that is bad so please forgive me. Excuses out of the gate?! <<< WHY NOT WORK OUT THE KINKS, THEN FILM THE VIDEO?

3)  The purpose of the video is to show HOW TO do something yet strikingly - they seem to be showing WHAT NOT TO DO in this particular instance. <<< WHO TOLD THEM THEY SHOULD ATTEMPT TO EDUCATE OTHERS? WHERE IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD THAT THEY HAVE REFERENCED TO SUPPORT THEIR METHODS?

4)  They have elected to film their video in an environment with so many noise distractions that you can't even pay attention to what they are saying. <<< WHY IS THIS SO COMMON? WHERE IS THE MODEL FOR THIS?

5)  The background looks like a tornado has gone through the room! It's such a mess back there, you'd think Neicy Nash is going to walk up any second! <<< WHY WOULD IT BE OK TO REPRESENT YOURSELF THIS WAY?

6)  Pajamas, treadmill as a coat rack, underwear, vacuum cleaner, stove, refrigerator, washer/dryer, iron/board, stacks of unfolded (even folded) laundry, recent CostCo haul (toilet paper, case of Top Ramen, paper towel, cereal, cleaning products, snacks) & many other household items DO NOT DOUBLE AS PROPS IN THE BACKGROUND OF A MAKEUP TUTORIAL VIDEO! <<< WHERE IS YOUR DIGNITY?

7)  An obviously wrinkled & not so new or clean looking bed-sheet draped over two broken halogen lamps is NOT - in any way, a desirable backdrop. <<< HOW COULD THIS POSSIBLY  BE ACCEPTABLE STAGING?

 (portable staging idea I've been tossing around)

8)  Peeling wallpaper, crooked towel rack, moldy shower curtain, a general need for the total bathroom scrub down...& etc...<<< SO WHY HAS ONE CHOSEN THIS, A GLARINGLY FILTHY BATHROOM AS "PRODUCTION SET" TO BE A SIGNATURE OF THEIR YOU TUBE PRESENCE?

9)  Dozens of videos/thousands upon thousands of views later & still no attempt to improve your overall image/presentation. Still mispronouncing company & product names. <<< SHOULDN'T HOBBYISTS, ENTHUSIASTS & MUAs BE HELD TO SOME STANDARD OF RESPECT FOR THE COLLEAGUES, COMPANIES & PRODUCTS THEY CRITIQUE/PROMOTE/REPRESENT?

10) Last, but hardly least...the wretched multi-tasking of engaging their YT audience & interacting with their kids, significant others, neighbors, other people, things & situations going on in the background. <<< HOW IN THE WORLD COULD ANYONE RATIONALIZE THAT THIS IS ACCEPTABLE TO A POTENTIALLY GLOBAL AUDIENCE?

...so the question remains... WHO HAS DONE A "TUTORIAL" TUTORIAL??? Where are the videos by You Tube gurus who are simply promoting and giving instruction on "THE ART" of producing a well made, thought out & polished tutorial no matter the subject?

It is by no means every beauty guru on YT that has caused me to cite the examples above - but you must agree that we see ENTIRELY TOO MANY vids that could be used as references for WHAT NOT TO DO when making them.  I am amazed as to how many violators are on equal footing & above those who might be considered "cream of the crop in quality" relative to viral video success's bottom line - VIEWS! How few of those very views are gawkers just wanting to see a train wreck? Either way, those views represent potential influence & many companies look at that as a way to reach potential cu$tomer$.

As a makeup artist, most of the accounts that I subscribe to have something to do with makeup, beauty, cosmetics & all things related.  I have been paying a good amount of attention to how I would like to increase my presence on You Tube & will not make another move towards it without careful consideration & planning.  Regard for aesthetic standards of many industries comes into play: TV/video production, lighting, set design, cinematography, script writing, speech & personality.
Lighting

I only hope to be able to produce video content that will engage my audience, help my brand as well as elevating the collective reputation of MUAs & beauty hobbyists/enthusiasts on the Internet via You Tube.

So, again - here I am crying out to my fellow lovers of the makeup industry to take it up a notch. This time on You Tube. We should ALL care to REPRESENT OURSELVES most positively...I wish for more of us to be prouder ambassadors of our personal & collaborative message...

BEAUTY

...then again, I have to admit that there is BEAUTY in the sheer freedom that ANYONE & EVERYONE has the right to produce the video of their capabilities & broadcast it to the world...

...but you know me - I JUST HAD TO SAY SOMETHING!!! :-)

Sincerely,
Jennifer James | Makeup Artist

...and your friendly, neighborhood SELF APPOINTED POLICE OF ALL THINGS I DECIDE NEED JUSTICE!

Related blogs & websites:

SKYPE Beauty Sessions
SKYPE Beauty (for Mary Kay, AVON & Artistry)
YOU TUBE
Chic TV
STYLE
Sam Fine Beauty
New York Magazine
JenJamesBeautyTV
Jennifer James Beauty on TWITTER
Jennifer James Beauty on FACEBOOK
Jennifer James Beauty's WEBSITE


Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. Thank You JEN for this article. I have been a loyal youtube viewer and when I started watching YT makeup vids "gurus" where professional and knew what they were talking about. Now it seem like everyone is so interested in becoming yt partner that the quality of the videos have gone down. I am a certified MUA and some of the things ive makeup videos that i have seen makes me cringe. Its totally unacceptable and it gives those who know the trade a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why until I have the right set up and background, I won't be recording any videos / tutorials. I think some of the people on YouTube are a little more laxed while others are a little more reserved when it comes down to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with certain parts(just trying to make partner, making excuses, and things of that nature)BUT I will say this. Many people who watch Youtube videos could care less. Proof: those "gurus" who do videos in their rooms have just as many subscribers and hits as those "gurus" with advanced lighting and expensive video equipments. Many viewers themselves have children, busy lives, are in the bathroom or bedroom themselves trying to duplicate a look while interacting with their own children or family! They understand. You can feel a person's personality and you can tell if the person truly doesn't care. Most truly DO care. When we go into department stores and to makeup counters there is all types of noise distractions and disarray at times but does that stop us from listening to the MUA we are interacting with. As long as whatever the viewer is seeking is found then that's all they care about. Many people do this FOR FREE, because they love it, and work hard to put up everything. Much of it isn't perfect and I think many youtube viewers know and understand that however if you ARE being paid and DO have money AND time at your disposal then of course what you post should reflect that as well. Speaking from my own channel. I'm learning as I go along and those who want to watch me as I make this journey can BUT DO NOT expect perfection! I'm NOT a guru, expert or even a vet in this game, but I DO want to learn and I will evolve, improve AND change as time goes on! Thank you Ms. James for being a part of that, every little thing I learn no matter how small will ultimately help me get to the point where I may one day say "Sherry Blossom, Pro Makeup Artist and GURU! " lol nice ring to it eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennifer. I started a yt channel a yr ago and when I first started I watched some vids first. I will admit I think some guru's are a lil laxed. I've seen gurus interact with their children while filming, some have a drink and God know's what else. I think the ones who do the named above want to look "down to earth". Well needless to say when I started my channel I didnt want to do none of the above. I film when my family is not home or they are occupied. Sometimes I have a background and sometimes I don't. I think alot of guru's including myself(I don't think I'm a guru) but they get excited about re-creating or creating a look they just dive into it, set the camera up and maybe some lighting and go for it! For some it's pure entertainment to see some guru's be unprofessional. For me because I'm still learning I seek out the professionals or a decent eye look or product or review. I guess to each it's own. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your point of view. But most people are not professional makeup artists nor are they filmmakers. I am a script writer and filmmaker and all this software costs thousands of dollars. This is not to mention the time it takes. The people are not getting paid. The people do not refer to themselves as gurus. That seems to be a term people use negatively to dismiss what knowledge the people do have. Often others are requesting a look because they feel they can learn from them. The people are approachable. This is the first step in being a great teacher. It's not about lighting or scripts. If someone were to pay me or my many filmmaker friends to do what we do few youtube videos would exist. Youtube is more about people connecting with people who share a similar passion. The makeup industry is recognizing this. As a marketing student I can tell you it's important to realize the changes in communication and education. I watch professionals as well as those who are not for different reasons and I learn from everyone. I've been doing makeup for a while and like any art my style is going to be different someone else's. That's what it art. You can learn from anyone if you have an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny & true!! I'm guilty of some of those things. If I'm home, I have my children so 10 times out of 10, I'm cant make a video. It's still funny though! *high Five*

    ReplyDelete