. . . . . . . . .

My photo

I credit having two older sisters with my falling in love with EVERYTHING BEAUTY. Watching two fashionistas while growing up turned out to be a seduction of my interests. I was quite the tomboy until 8th grade  then it began. As a teen, I began to devour every beauty editorial in all of the top fashion magazines: Vogue©, Elle©, Essence©, Cosmopolitan©, Harpers Bazaar© and Seventeen. I could not get enough. I was ever-willing to spend my last $10 on an eyebrow pencil and two fashion rags. I would spend hours at the nearest store to browse the make-up lines and become familiar with every tool there was. I learned to sew at a very young age (Mommy made sure), so this was the time I started designing and sewing my own outfits to wear to school. So of course I had to have nails and eye shadow to match. If my blouse had black and white stripes or a checkered pattern, then so did my nails and eyes. Eventually becoming a NAIL TECHNICIAN & MAKE-UP ARTIST was a natural progression.
www.jenniferjames-beauty.com
www.twitter.com/jenjamesbeauty
www.instagram.com/jenjamesbeauty

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

★ Shame Shame Shame!!! MUAs - WE ARE HIRED HELP!!!

Well clutch the antique pearls!!...in my inbox? What? A Make-Up Artist ranting that a bride had suggestions during the consult? How dare that bride, actually having an opinion about what she shall look like on her wedding day! What's a MUA to do?

Shame Shame Shame!!! MUAs - WE ARE HIRED HELP!!! We are hired to do a beautiful job because of our expertise, experience & ...

Without clients - WE ARE NOTHING!

WE OFTEN HAVE NO POWER OVER ART/CREATIVE DIRECTION of weddings UNLESS that is a part of the contract agreement or TOTAL TRUST is established other-wise...as in through a detailed consult or you have an EXTENSIVE BRIDAL PORTFOLIO that gives the client complete confidence in you. When you bring these specialized services to a bridal client, charge adequate fees & still remain mindful that we are hired help.

In bridal situations, RARELY is there an existent opportunity to execute YOUR vision for what a bridal client may desire for herself. The stresses that brides feel when it comes to their planning & ultimately the big day are understandable UNLESS it comes to the point where HIRED HELP, like MAKE-UP ARTISTS are suffering some form of abuse from said client.


When working with bridal clients, use images & do a VERY THOROUGH CONSULT so you are more likely to grasp the client's vision. When the client is ABSOLUTELY CLEAR & CONFIDENT that you are in tune with their vision - you may have the freedom to show more of YOUR technique, expertise, personal make-up philosophy & really put your stamp on the bridal looks.


A MUA being TOLD WHAT TO DO is not abuse. A picky client usually is not stepping on our toes or questioning our expertise...

THEY ARE EXERCI$ING THEIR RIGHT TO BE AN EDUCATED CON$UMER!

We should relish each opportunity to satisfy a very selective client every chance we get,
after all...

...most of us cannot rightfully think of it any other way because with our current level of expertise & experience - we have much growth to achieve. Much of that growth may be wisdom.

Sincerely,

Jennifer James | MUA Pin It Now!